Corporate Social Responsibility
For us, corporate social responsibility (CSR) is an umbrella term covering our impact on society and the environment in its widest sense; our impact on the environment; our diversity record; our behaviour as an employer, as a purchaser of goods and services, and as a provider of recruitment services; the suppliers we use; our corporate governance policies; our relationships with our stakeholders; and the shared values that guide our company.
We believe that having strong CSR credentials will help us attract and retain the best people to our company. We aim to be a leader among the UK and international recruitment and consulting firms in the field of corporate social responsibility (CSR).
We are committed to being a responsible business because it matters to us and the people who are important to us – particularly the people who work here. We also believe that improving our understanding and delivery of our social and environmental responsibilities is important to sustaining our success as a leading international firm, and in improving our understanding of the local and international markets and communities we work in.
For our firm, success in CSR is being responsible, as well as profitable; taking a responsible approach to climate change and minimising our impact on the environment; being a good employer; and ensuring that we are attracting and retaining people from the widest possible pool of talent. For us, sustainability is also about investing in the future by helping to improve the skills and aspirations of young people and homeless people; working with our community partners to help identify and meet the needs of the communities where we work and the issues that are pertinent to us; and making a valuable contribution to promoting human rights and improving access to justice for people in need.
We define our social responsibility into four key areas:
- Marketplace – responsibility to our clients, candidates, suppliers and partners as a leading recruitment and consulting company
- Workplace – commitment to what we regard as our most valuable resource: our employees
- Environment – doing all we can to reduce our impact on the environment. The Rethink Group is officially a Carbon Neutral company. A certificate is available on request
- Community – ensuring that each of our offices is an active partner in the communities in which they operate, acting with integrity and inspiring trust
We are committed to building a culture where our employees, clients, candidates and suppliers recognise our commitment to ensuring that our branches operate successfully in their communities and that we achieve our goal as a company of long-term sustainable success.
We have a Corporate Social Responsibility committee that meets at least twice a year, which is managed by a member of the executive board and senior level representatives from all areas of the business including operations, purchasing, finance, human resources and sales and marketing. This committee is tasked with upholding our duty of care to the environment and our communities. Quarterly performance reports are provided to the Board.
Rethink Group is committed to the highest standards of ethical business practice towards our candidates, clients, and suppliers.
- Rethink Group treats all employees with dignity and respect and provides opportunities for all employees to succeed. Our services and facilities where reasonably practicable, be accessible to all, including those with disabilities or special needs
- All areas of our business operate a healthy and safe environment for our candidates, employees, visitors and contractors
- We are committed to the personal safety of all staff
- We are committed to appropriate investment in our properties
- Our purchasing department always consider ethical and environmental obligations in all activities, for example preferring to source supplies locally where possible
- We will not purchase from any organisation whose products are produced through the exploitation of child labour, paying an unfair wage in poor working conditions or any other violation of worker’s / Human rights
- We are committed to honesty and transparency in our communication with customers Workplace
- We recognise the value and importance of our employees and managing talent within our business is a priority.
Our employment policies not only comply with all relevant legislation, but seek to exceed standard requirements in order to ensure that the working environment across the business embraces diversity and offers fairness and equality of opportunity in every respect.
The key employment policies within our organisation include:
- Training and development
- Diversity and Equal Opportunities
- Family friendly working policies
- Talent management
- Employee consultation and internal communications
- Health & Safety in the workplace
Rethink Group actively seeks ways to minimise our environmental impact within the communities where we have facilities. We implement programmes that reduce waste, conserve resources and prevent pollution.
- Reducing Energy consumption
Low energy lighting, regular boiler efficiency audits, maximum water temperatures and movement sensor controlled lighting and others
Society often overlooks that water is a scarce resource, but we actively strive and encourage our team-members to conserve water usage throughout our business
- Waste Management
Waste streams are segregated at all offices and paper, glass and cardboard is recycled. We continue to work with suppliers to reduce excess packaging and increase the use of recycled cardboard
- Responsible purchasing
We ensure that all our suppliers are aware of our environmental goals and have their own environmental policies in place. Wherever practical, we purchase products made from renewable and ethically sound sources. Rethink Group recognises that people are key to environmental success and all employees are encouraged to be environmentally responsible through regular training, instruction and awareness raising activities, our environmental policy is also available on our internal intranet site. This policy is regularly monitored by the group CSR committee and updated to reflect new initiatives and processes that can further drive the reduction of our impact on the environment both locally and on a national level.
Rethink Group works with our stakeholders, clients and customers to understand community priorities and identify how we can play a role in addressing these.
Our commitment to the community includes:
- Supporting local charities at individual branches
- Forming and maintaining links with local schools and colleges for work experience placements
- Making it possible for our employees to make a difference in the community through volunteerism and support of non-profit organisations.
Rethink Group complies with the International Labour Organisation (ILO) Conventions on Employee Rights in regard to UK legislation and regulation.
Updated April 2014.